The project provides for the organisation of training activities for judges, prosecutors, lawyers and probation officers, aiming at discussing issues related to the use and implementation of non-custodial sentences and at raising awareness of specific rights and needs of people in vulnerable situations or belonging to minorities.
The training took place at the Faculty of Law of the University of Coimbra, on 4 to 6 May 2022 (Programme).
Support materials for the training
- International human rights instruments relevant to the application of non-custodial sanctions and to the treatment of individuals in situations of vulnerability:
- Aspects of the Portuguese legal framework regarding the application of non-custodial sanctions and measures:
Determinação da pena e concurso de crimes punidos com pena de diferente natureza (Maria João Antunes)
Execução da pena de multa de substituição através de prestação de dias de trabalho (Maria João Antunes)
Regime de permanência na habitação (Maria João Antunes)
A prisão e as outras penas: sempre a mesma e velha dicotomia (William Themudo Gilman)
Aspetos da aplicação e execução da pena de trabalho a favor da comunidade (William Themudo Gilman)
- Practical aspects of the imposition and implementation of non-custodial sanctions and measures:
DGRSP (Presentation) - A avaliação, a planificação e a execução (Ana Cristina Neves)
- Comparative study:
- Presentation of the pilot project on the implementation of non-custodial sanctions and measures served by persons with mental health conditions:
- Related resources - Penal Reform International:
Read here a text published by Rob Allen about the training.
A training event with the same objectives will also take place in Hungary, organised jointly by Penal Reform International and the Hungarian Helsinki Committee.